National Apparel Department Store: Integration Platform Modernization
OrganizationXTIVIA’s client is a department store chain, with nearly 300 locations in 16 states offering apparel, shoes, accessories, cosmetics, home furnishings, and wedding registry. With more than 10,000 employees nationwide, their stores and eCommerce site have produced billions in annual revenue and deliver an assortment of fashion brands to their customers.
ChallengeOur client is a leading technology innovator in retail. Mission-critical systems handle high volume and high velocity of data movement from on-premise to cloud with ultra-low latency. The existing data integration tool could not meet its high velocity/low latency streaming requirement. The immediate challenges, which needed addressing were the following:
- Load balancing did not work as expected (i.e., a job can’t be deployed in Load Balance mode). It always runs on one server though the job is deployed on two servers.
- Fault tolerance did not work as expected. The job did not failover unless the job server was down. Manual intervention is required to start the job whenever it goes down.
- Multithreading is not resource optimized. Jobs should be parallelized to enable multithreading with a negative impact of very high CPU and RAM consumption.
- It is not easy to share data between the jobs compared with other integration technologies.
- They have a limited number of Cloud connectors for optimizing high throughput messaging in the Cloud.
XTIVIA partnered with this client to provide a complete lifecycle solution on MuleSoft starting from:
- Proof of Technology on common use cases
- Environment Setup
1) MuleSoft Proof of Technology: XTIVIA reviewed our client’s existing use cases, data sources, data usage, and patterns, then performed a proof of technology based on the most common use cases:
2) MuleSoft Environment: As per our client’s enterprise security needs, API Gateway was provisioned inside a secure DMZ providing APIs’ perimeter security. The integration layer or the ESB was provisioned in the internal network where traffic is routed through an F5. All MuleSoft control planes, such as API Manager, Monitoring Dashboard, and Runtime Manager UI are hosted inside MuleSoft Cloud.
3) API Development: XTIVIA enabled connection between the client’s Salesforce Marketing Cloud to IBM MQ and Google Pub/Suborder flow. Next, we ordered movement from on-premise IBM MQ to 4 cloud destination Google Pub/Sub, Azure storage, Google Storage, and NSF shared location. Integrations included Workday to Manhattan Active® Omni item sync, Workday to Lawson order sync, RMS to Chargeback price calculation, and RMS to Manhattan Active® Omni item sync. We then provided MUnit testing to be done for unit testing.
The new MuleSoft API platform enabled the client to drive further retail innovation with scale and speed. The result included:
- The ability to deliver curbside pickup during COVID-19 leveraging MuleSoft APIs.
- Omnichannel retailing leveraging multiple cloud SaaS like Salesforce, Manhattan WMS, Chargeback, Lawson
- Truly flexible platform to support the surge of orders in peak seasons.
No obligation, no pressure. We're easy to talk with and you might be surprised at how much you can learn about your project by speaking with our experts.
XTIVIA CORPORATE OFFICE
304 South 8th Street, Suite 201
Colorado Springs, CO 80905 USA
Additional offices in New York, New Jersey,
Missouri, Texas, Virginia, and Hyderabad, India.
USA toll free: 888-685-3101, ext. 2
International: +1 719-685-3100, ext. 2
Fax: +1 719-685-3400