Significance of Data Migration and Data Quality in Technology Transformation
XTIVIA’s client is a Global Car Rental Company that operates more than 15,900 international corporate and franchise locations in 145 countries across six continents. Throughout the last five years, the corporation has offered 5,000,000 vehicles to millions of customers. With locations in every major airport across the globe, the company has roughly 37,000 employees and reports billions of dollars in revenue each year.
Our client has been running their Customer Relationship Management (CRM) on outdated legacy on-premise systems, which resulted in an increased TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) and significantly limited their ability to implement standard business processes across their global operations (with roughly 20,000 users).
As part of their digital transformation initiative, a decision was made to move their CRM to a cloud-based system. By transferring to a cloud-based system, they would streamline the process of implementing improvements and increase the efficiency of their operations.
- Lack of documentation (and company SME) around currently used legacy applications.
- Poor quality of data, including a very high percentage of duplicate data.
- Multiple projects running in parallel, requiring very close coordination with numerous vendors and project
With the goal of cleaning (Data Quality) and migrating (Data Migration) the client’s data, XTIVIA had two major objectives:
- Ensure smooth business transition during the transformation journey from legacy on-premise systems onto
future-ready cloud-based systems.
- Work closely with the business to identify and implement innovative data migration solutions and provide
maximum benefit to the business by balancing the levers of complexity, timeliness, and cost.
From the beginning of the partnership, XTIVIA and its client were able to recognize key issues and began planning
strategic solutions, such as:
- Usage of MDM and the Informatica Data Quality tool for addressing data duplication and data inconsistency issues, and for improving quality of data prior to migrating to the new systems.
- Support parallel running of legacy and new systems with zero outage of legacy applications until a steady state was achieved with the new system.
- Data migration across legacy on-premise systems to cloud-based SaaS systems within agreed timelines.
- Huge volume of data to be migrated to Salesforce (100+ Million B2C Customers and 1.5 Million B2B Customers/Accounts), considering limitations with Salesforce application to accept only a certain volume of records per day.
Early-on in the process, XTIVIA identified data quality issues and implemented transformative cleansing routines using MDM and Data Quality tools to rationalize and achieve one concise view of the data with pristine information. Data Migration was managed and delivered using an efficient Data Factory approach with shared resources. Successful migration included effective use of an Audit & Reconciliation strategy to ensure both consistency and accuracy of data across all business applications. Finally, XTIVIA used a Microsoft Azure Cloud platform to provide the client with an ETL environment, which offered several benefits:
- Effective planning, strategy, and delivery of a data migration solution from legacy systems to support
the implementation of new cloud-based systems.
- Ensuring business alignment during the migration and parallel running of legacy and new systems
during the interim process.
- Scalable ETL environment in the Cloud, supporting adjustments of the hardware capacities to meet the
data migration objectives.
XTIVIA utilized their end-to-end planning and EIM strategies to deliver complex data migration solutions—involving huge data volumes and coordination with multiple programs running in parallel—and implemented innovative solutions to migrate and keep data in sync across legacy, new, and other external vendor applications.
By partnering with XTIVIA for their successful migration of data and installation of cloud-based services, the client received:
- A 360-degree view of customer data (both B2B and B2C customers).
- A decreased number of managed systems, which produced a notable reduction in TCO.
- Smooth transition from legacy on-premise systems to cloud-based CRM system.
Additionally, XTIVIA’s experienced experts provided:
- An overarching view of information to enable a robust and repeatable data migration solution.
- Detailed analysis of source data structures and early identification of data quality issues.
- Additional data cleansing routines (as required by Salesforce and MDM target systems).
- Close coordination with the business and system SMEs during the mapping of source data structure with Salesforce and MDM objects.
- Established an ensured cross-referencing of data between Salesforce and MDM.
- Audit and reconciliation reports (including provisioning of data sample sets at target systems) to ensure accuracy of verified migrated data.
- Used IBM Optim Data Archival tool to help data archival of decommissioned applications (ePowercenter, CRCS, etc.).
BY THE NUMBERS
169M Source Customer Records
20,000,000 Loyalty Customers
5 International Brands
Informatica PowerCenter (IDQ 10.2)
Microsoft Azure SQL Server
IBM Optim Data Archival
Orchestra EBX5 5.4.1