CLOUD STRATEGY AND ROADMAP FOR A MEDICAL DEVICE SUPPLIER
Our client is a leading and joint commission accredited provider of ventilators, oxygen, sleep apnea treatment, nebulizers, wound care solutions, and home medical equipment. They have a service team of respiratory clinicians, Medicare, and insurance experts. Their success is directly attributed to implementing agile solutions that improve productivity, streamlining operations, eliminating bottlenecks, and achieving paperless operations. They have a secure mobile app and patient portal providing a convenient way for customers to take full ownership of their healthcare information with access to digitally-signed documents.
They are on a growth path with several acquisitions requiring a flexible and scalable infrastructure environment to meet growth needs. Their goal is to migrate to a secure and cost-effective cloud solution which can support their growth and compliance needs.
Our client’s IT landscape is on-premise and they are on an accelerated growth path acquiring companies. The subsidiaries use a heterogeneous IT landscape including different cloud platforms. The future-state platform should be flexible, scalable, secure, cost-effective, and support integrating with heterogeneous platforms. Our client turned to XTIVIA for an independent and unbiased assessment of cloud platforms, data warehouse migration strategy and roadmap.
Their current on-premise data warehouse is on Db2 BLU, ETL is on DataStage, and reporting on Cognos. Our client wanted to start their cloud migration journey with their data warehouse migration as it is relatively less business-critical for them. Moving DataStage and Cognos environments to the cloud is a “nice to have” requirement. The solution should support migrating other applications to the cloud.
XTIVIA gathered and analyzed the client’s current-state IT landscape, security architecture, data governance, SLA needs, pain points, regulatory compliance needs, and future-state requirements. We considered different tradeoffs in recommending the cloud platform and migration strategy: Security, Scalability, Performance, Cost (migration cost and ongoing operational costs), data availability, recoverability, HIPAA compliance, ease of migration, and Db2 license expiry date.
We provided major cloud platform comparison in terms of the services offered, security, support, and other features. We recommended AWS as the cloud platform and Snowflake as the data warehouse platform, provided future-state architecture, data warehouse migration strategy, and roadmap.
- Recommended investing the time, effort, and financial resources in migrating the Db2 data warehouse to Snowflake on AWS and converting DataStage jobs to Snowflake ELT
- Recommended to keep the Cognos Reporting environment as-is as we do not want to impact end users, however, recommended to utilize other self-service reporting solutions for new reporting needs
- Provided comparison of different solution options:
- Lift and shift Db2 to VM on cloud
- Migrate Db2 LUW to Db2 Warehouse Flex
- Replatform to Snowflake
- Provided future-state architecture with detailed security considerations
- Provided detailed migration approach and steps involved in migrating Db2 data warehouse to Snowflake, DataStage jobs to Snowflake ELT, parallel testing the current-state with future-state data pipeline including Cognos reports
- Provided detailed roadmap with different phases, resource requirement, and timeline
XTIVIA’s recommendations and solution provided the following benefits:
- Client is well educated and equipped to make a cloud platform decision with the wealth of information and analysis provided by XTIVIA
- The detailed analysis, architecture, and roadmap provided the client with a better understanding of major cloud platforms, their features, justification for XTIVIA’s recommendations (AWS, and Snowflake), alternative (Azure)
- The roadmap provided the basis for cost-benefit analysis, implementation planning, budgeting, staffing, and risk management
No obligation, no pressure. We’re easy to talk with and you might be surprised at how much you can learn about your project by speaking with our experts.
XTIVIA CORPORATE OFFICE
304 South 8th Street, Suite 201
Colorado Springs, CO 80905 USA
Additional offices in New York, New Jersey,
Missouri, Texas, Virginia, and Hyderabad, India.
USA toll free: 888-685-3101, ext. 2
International: +1 719-685-3100, ext. 2
Fax: +1 719-685-3400
Complete the form to hear from us.