COPPERPOINT: LIFERAY PORTAL IMPLEMENTATION
XTIVIA helps CopperPoint, Arizona’s leading workers compensation insurance provider, upgrade to personalize online experiences for policyholders and agents, using Liferay.
Arizona’s Own Work Insurer
Formerly SCF Arizona, CopperPoint became a private company in 2013 after serving as the Arizona state compensation fund since 1925. CopperPoint is Arizona’s largest provider of workers compensation insurance and leads the market by providing exceptional service to brokers, agents, CSRs, employers and employees.
“The XTIVIA team was always accommodating, flexible, and knowledgeable and we could not have accomplished what we did, in the amount of time we had, without their assistance.”Aaron McIver
Application Development Manager, CopperPoint
A Strategy for a Unified User Experience
CopperPoint identified two strategic objectives: prepare and build for aggressive growth and increase customer service through enhanced technology leadership. To achieve these objectives, they would need a portal that could serve all stakeholders and unify several core insurance systems. They wanted a solution that wouldn’t feel like a disjointed set of individual web pages; whatever they built would need to be an intuitive user experience that felt like a desktop application.
CopperPoint set an aggressive timeline and outlined an ambitious set of business requirements, including:
- A better user experience for policyholders and agents.
- Flexible web design that could display well on mobile (including payments and account management via smartphone).
- Ability to create personalized user experience depending on user type (e.g., policyholder or agent).
- Strong web content management and publishing with permissions and workflow features.
- Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) system that enforces fine-grained permission checks for end user functions as well as tools for managing permissions. This RBAC model should also be extensible for future modifications, functions and permissions.
- Enterprise architecture that interacts well with other systems (also featuring Single Sign On [SSO]).
- Flexible platform to integrate with a variety of back-end data systems like internal services and databases.
New Public Site, Private Customer Portal
CopperPoint chose Liferay, the leading open source portal on the market, to fulfill their business needs. They turned to XTIVIA, Liferay’s three-time North American Partner of the year, to build the platform.
Named a Leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portals for several years running, Liferay was chosen for its extensive out-of-the-box feature set as well as its extensibility and proven track record with other insurance clients. Likewise, XTIVIA’s excellent track record and proven leadership with portals was a deciding factor in CopperPoint’s selection. Together, XTIVIA used Liferay to create and deliver a system that met CopperPoint’s business requirements on a very strict timeline.
“Over the years we have worked with several external consultants, but XTIVIA sets themselves apart with their combination of technical expertise and excellent customer service. They are a true implementation partner.”Daniel Andrade
AVP – Applications Development, CopperPoint
XTIVIA utilized a consumer-agnostic SOA service layer with an interactive Single Page Application to build an excellent enterprise-grade portal using Liferay.
A joint team composed of engineers from CopperPoint and XTIVIA built a new public site at www.copperpoint.com and a private customer portal that supplemented Liferay’s out-of-the-box capabilities with custom plugins for the following features:
- Responsive theme utilizing Liferay’s built-in support for Bootstrap.
- Applications (portlets) built with Single Page App (SPA) architecture using AngularJS and REST.
- Shared functionality for a personalized user experience for both policyholders and agents.
- Access control model based on policyholder accounts.
- Delegated permissions that allow account managers to control permitted roles for others working in the account.
- Self-serve registration for new policyholders and automated registration for legacy policyholders.
- Web and document CMS easily usable by non-technical users.
- Login hooks to integrate with enterprise SSO and automatic login for previously authenticated users.
- Integrated legacy databases and SOAP interfaces with new insurance-based vertical system (Guidewire).
- Google Analytics integration.
- Enterprise search.
Targeted Content Across All Channels
With XTIVIA’s guidance, CopperPoint built and launched their Policy Holder Portal in July 2014. Since the launch, thousands of customers have used the new portal on desktop, tablet and mobile devices for a variety of functions. The new portal has lent CopperPoint’s website a fresh look, and the updated architecture allows them to quickly build and publish new and enhanced functions.
“CopperPoint continues to leverage XTIVIA as a key relationship partner as we continue company expansion and expand our customer and agent services into the future.”Yvette Gonzales
SVP and CIO, CopperPoint
The portal has also made it possible to show users targeted content and give them different functions depending on their roles as policyholders, agents or internal CSRs. Combining XTIVIA’s exceptional software and development team with Liferay’s sophisticated portal technology, CopperPoint’s new site performs fast and presents a cohesive UI for a better user experience for the entire enterprise and its customers.