As a DBMS SQL Server is a powerful, cost-effective, and simple-to-use DBMS able to service the needs of most small-to-medium size businesses right out-of-the-box without professional management by a DBA. In fact, a recent survey reported that 45% of IT personnel responsible for managing their company’s SQL Server instances are not trained database administrators instead these professionals label themselves as “volunteer” or “accidental” DBAs. However, there comes a time when a company reaches a certain milestone when a company begins to ask the following questions:
- Is our data safe?
- What is our disaster recovery plan?
- Are we fault-tolerant?
- Can the server(s) be optimized for OLTP / OLAP?
- Server traffic is increasing and response time is decreasing; time to buy more hardware?
- Can we leverage our OLTP data to support business decisions?
Resolving questions such as these requires a depth of experience generally not available from the volunteer or accidental DBA. The obvious problem is that the salary, as recently reported, for a full-time experienced DBA averages $104,000 which is often prohibitive; therefore, other solutions are necessary. So, the question is:
- How does a growing company enlist the expertise of an expert DBA without assuming the cost?
The answer to this riddle is:
- Rent the expertise by the hour or project from XTIVIA. You get competitive rates for senior-level expertise for as little or as long as you need.